Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Near the Cross

Fanny J. Crosby (1820-1915) was the author of over 8,500 gospel songs. Though blind at 6 weeks of age, Crosby began writing at age 6. She later became a teacher at the New York School for the Blind, where she was a student. A friend of several presidents, Crosby became one of the most important advocates for the cause of the blind in the United States.
Crosby’s writing career flowered at the New York School for the Blind, where she received acclaim as a poet. Then, on November 20, 1850 at Thirtieth Street Methodist Church, Crosby went forward to the altar and accepted Jesus Christ as her Savior. The congregation was singing Isaac Watts’ hymn about the cross.

At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light
And the burden of my heart rolled away
It was there by faith I received my sight
And now I am happy all the day
Shortly thereafter, Crosby began writing hymns, and many of her songs focused on the theme of the cross, such as “At the Cross, There’s Room”, “Blessed Cross”, “Room at the Cross”, “Save Me at the Cross”, and this hymn, “Near the Cross”. The hymn was composed after Cincinnati businessman William H. Doane gave Crosby a melody he had written—a practice that was not uncommon in their relationship. Listening to the melody, Crosby felt it said, “Jesus keep me near the cross,” and she promptly wrote the words. The hymn first appeared in the collection Bright Jewels for the Sunday School (1869), compiled by William B. Bradbury, Robert Lowry, Doane, W.F. Sherwin and Chester G. Allen.


Near the Cross
by Fanny J. Crosby, 1869

Jesus, keep me near the cross;
there a precious fountain,
free to all, a healing stream,
flows from Calvary's mountain. 

Refrain:

In the cross, in the cross,
be my glory ever,
till my raptured soul shall find
rest beyond the river.

Near the cross, a trembling soul,
love and mercy found me;
there the bright and morning star
sheds its beams around me.

Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
bring its scenes before me;
help me walk from day to day
with its shadow o'er me.

Near the cross I'll watch and wait,
hoping, trusting ever,
till I reach the golden strand
just beyond the river.


-

No comments:

Post a Comment